Toolchain and Build System Session
This session / working group will investigate the state of the build system and toolchain. For now this page is just a braindump of ideas. Feel free to add more details and topics yourself.
Possible agenda items:
- Cross compilation support
- External toolchain
- Linker status
- Removing GNU components from base
- Modularity in the base system
- Import bmake into HEAD with a WITH_BMAKE option to make it install as /usr/bin/make
- Add bmake compat to *.mk
- Post bmake import, create clean meta mode patch based on it.
- MFC :tu and :tl back to 7.
- Test ports with bmake and discuss bmake compat shim with portmgr
- Start discussion on designing new build system perhaps on toolchain@
- We do want to use staging during the build process rather than the partial staging done by the includes and libraries targets
- Support external toolchains
- Give more thought to the ways flags are set.
- Allow CFLAGS on the command line without breaking the build?
- Saner per-compiler FLAGS?
- De-conflate WORLDTMP's cross toolchain and sysroot uses
- De-conflate LDFLAGS for cc and for ld