A Roadmap For Jails
Chair Person: AllanJude
The Jail working group will discuss and construct a roadmap for improving the infrastructure and usability of jails. Topics will include the base rc.d/jail jail.conf system, external jail frameworks like ezjail, bsdploy, and iocage, other container systems (docker, jetpack), resolving configuration complexity, and documentation.
- Opening: Shortcomings of the current Jail system
- jail.conf cannot be easily modified programmatically
- jail.conf is a unique config format (not ucl)
- pkg -j is not really thought through
- converting to /etc/jail.conf.d/jailname and a flatter config file
- using libucl for jail config files
- Create a 'base' snapshot during bsdinstall distextract, to be cloned to create jails instantly
- Creating jails with pkg base
- freebsd-update for jails
- etcupdate interaction with jails
- pkg upgrade base and jails
- Base system conventions
- make.conf's WRKDIR should default to /var/ports, so that the ports tree can be shared between host and jails
- Where to go from here
- Ensure the handbook covers how to handle upgrades etc
- Decide which documentation belongs in the handbook, and which is too specific to 3rd party tools
In order to attend you need register for the developer summit as well as by email for the session and be confirmed by the working group organizer. Follow the guidelines described on the main page or what you received by email. For questions or if in doubt ask the session chairs.
Please do NOT add yourself here. Your name will appear automatically once you have received the confirmation email. You need to put your name on the general developer summit attendees list though.