Desktop Integration in FreeBSD
This page aims to assist porters and desktop integrators on methods of unifying and improving the desktop experience in FreeBSD.
Related Handbook Chapters
Related Wiki Pages
See Tutorials/Desktop in Community/Resources.
- From the description:
Desktop-installer is a post-install script to assist in setting up a FreeBSD desktop system using any of the mainstream desktop systems. It automatically installs essential software and configures subsystems such as HAL, CUPS, etc. for typical use.
Ports Improvement Ideas
- Develop unified port scheme to flag or include XDG meta-data, such as desktop icons, menu icons, mime-types
- bsd.port.mk already has a DESKTOP_ENTRIES macro. For creating .desktop files for ports that don't ship with them. No translation though if we want that.
- Begin marking port "types" in each port, such as "Application,Library,Data"
FreeBSD Base Improvement Ideas
Items and projects needing to be addressed on FreeBSD to improve the desktop experience
- Animated / interactive boot-splash screen
- Switch to flip webcam video vertically
- Improved audio daemon to better work with Pulse / ALSA and such?