The current FreeBSD/mips TODO List contains items that we'd like to see, or items that people are currently working on.
There are a variety of MIPS32 platforms supported.
The CPU families in question (in 32-bit mode):
- MIPS24Kc (from 9-RELEASE)
- MIPS74Kc (from 11-HEAD)
Specific boards (non-exhaustive):
Mikrotik RouterBoard RB450G
- Alfa Networks Hornet UB (AR933x)
- Atheros PB44, PB47, AP94, AP96 reference designs (AR7161)
- Atheros DB120 reference design (AR9344)
May other devices have an AR71xx, AR724x, AR91xx, AR933x, AR934x in them. Any of those boards will work - provided enough RAM (32MB) and flash (8MB) is available to run FreeBSD-HEAD.
- Ralink RT305xF systems
- Malta (may also work in 64-bit mode; unknown if 64-bit kernels have been tested with an emulator or real hardware)
MIPS 64 based
BERI (http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/research/security/ctsrd/beri/) (From 10.0-RELEASE)
See FreeBSD/mips/Octeon article.
NetLogic XLR/XLS CPU family
The 32-bit and 64-bit MIPS platforms (both big and little endian) can be tested under various emulator environments. Please see FreeBSD/MipsEmulation for further information.
A very simple (and perhaps out of date) overview can be found here - FreeBSD/BuildingMIPS .
Cavium Simulator -- How to run the Cavium Network Simulator on FreeBSD with a FreeBSD kernel