9.0 TODO, open tasks, ongoing projects
This is a transcriptish from the blackboard at the BSDCan 201105DevSummit 9.0 Finalization Planning session, 2011-05-12:
JohnBaldwin's slides go here
- clang switch in ports needed
- compile ports with different/non-base compiler
- external toolchain support (imp)
- Make /usr/bin/cc gcc but build base+sys with clang (per-arch)
- benchmarks (dhw)
- GPT default?
- Dedicated disk in installer get GPT by default
- GPT Labels? glabel? (there are some labels) UFS labels?
- Auto-mode partition schemes for UFS and ZFS
- propose 1-3 common once
- hw.acpi.power_blah? Try for 9 and back out if it blows up.
Other ongoing projects
- bsdinstall ZFS installation (pjd)
- ZFS daemon (justin)
- 64bit inodes (10.x?)
- Add new stat?
- Intel graphics driver? (kib) (PC-BSD) -- probably MFCable
- openssh-hpn (brooks, bz)
- boot loader menu
- VOP API changes? (rick)
- Crash dumps on by default? (MFC?)
- Automatic crash reports by default? (MFC?)
- pf45 (eri)
- VIMAGE Infrastructure
- GEOM multithread flag
- Run benchmarks before we'll release 9.0? (they voice of god said we clearly haven't done enough benchmarking)
- Interest in stripped down version supported longer for 2 years by so@?
Start of stable branch => 4y?
- 1 release per stable branch.
- What in, what out? Build list.
- More bsdinstall testing
- 32bit ifindex? (not for 9)
MUST NOT change
- NIC driver w/o tight upper layer integration (like TOE)
- Storage drivers in CAM