GNATS is the current FreeBSD bug tracking database. Let's try to create a factual summary of its pros and cons:
Pros And Cons
- pro: it currently exists and is deployed.
- pro: each FreeBSD system is set up to submit PRs via send-pr(1) in the base system.
- pro: accessible via web and email.
pro: replication of database via cvsup(1). (portsmon is _not_ the only user of this function.)
- con: database often reports that it is 'busy'.
- con: misfiles email followups that omit the Special Tracking String (e.g. "ports/80000"). These have to be fixed manually.
- con: no ability to sign to follow PRs about subject XYZ.
- con: no ability to send reminder mail except to FreeBSD committers.