The FreeBSD Greek Documentation Project
Who are we?
We are a group of Greek people using FreeBSD in our homes and work places. Some of us also implement FreeBSD-based solutions for others. We believe the system is great, and hope to make it accessible to more people by translating the documentation into our native language.
Why join us?
Although you will not have any monetary benefits, there are more than enough reasons to join our team:
- You will feel your work is important: You will be assisting an international voluntary project, used by millions of people.
- You will gain the respect of people that will use your work.
- You will understand your system better, and also communicate with people that share your views.
- You will gain technical knowledge on the way the documentation system works.
- It is the kind of work you can actually show (and prove) on your CV.
How to join the translators team
The easiest way to join is through our mailing list:
You can start by viewing the list archives
You can send an email to our list
For faster response, please use this form to subscribe first.
Check the Greek Documentation Project Hub
Alternatively, send an email to Manolis Kiagias
What you will need
- Some spare time
- The will to help
- A good (not necessarily perfect) knowledge of the English language
What you will not need
- Special equipment and software. An editor, spell checker and an Internet connection is all that is required. A simple dial up connection is sufficient, if that is all you have.
- Expert's knowledge or programming. Most of the times you simply translate the English text, there is no need to change the markup language used (which is simple anyway).
Giorgos Iordanou (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Kyriakos Kentrotis (email@example.com)
Nikos Kokkalis (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Konstantinos Koukopoulos (email@example.com)
Panagiotis Kritikakos (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Stylianos Sideridis (email@example.com)
Aristotelis Stamatopoulos (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Leonidas Tsampros (email@example.com)
Vaggelis Typaldos (firstname.lastname@example.org)
You can get the most recent document sources from the team's mercurial repository:
You can also download the sources in compressed form:
Note: These tarballs are updated daily.
The latest committed versions of the above documents can be found here.
More info can be found at the Greek Documentation Project Hub
The team has lately concentrated its efforts on the Handbook and FAQ:
Handbook's Volume I (Chapters 1-10 and Appendices) is now ready and is constantly updated and re-synced to the English version. View the build here. Large parts of the Administration Handbook (Volume II) have also been translated, and work continues at a pace of about a chapter per month. For the more recent and experimental changes, please visit our test build
The FreeBSD FAQ is about 40% complete (First five chapters). View the test build here.
A number of articles have been translated. View the builds here.
Check the Pending Commits for the el_GR tree.