Checklist for Committers Who Pass Away
Here's a list of things to do when a committer passes away. This likely mirrors when a committer leaves the project, except in a few cases.
- Notify core@ of the committer's passing away. If possible, provide a pointer to his or her obituary.
- The core@ secretary should notify developers@ and accounts@ of the passing. Should portmgr@ and doceng@ be notified separately?
- Someone on core@ should clean up the PR database so no more mail is generated to this person.
- Any ports for which this committer was the maintainer should be reset to ports@ or assigned to a new maintainer.
- Update the calendar file to include the date and location of his or her death. Remove the birth entry as well.
- If this creates a vacancy in one of the project's many "hats," discuss how to move forward.
- core@ should discuss if future releases should be dedicated to his or her memory, etc
Add an 'in memoriam' section to the contributors guide.
Have I forgotten anything?
- Disable dfilter-generated cvs commit messages if used (?)
- Unsubscribe from mailing lists (?)