FreeBSD MP Scalability Project
With the advent of readily affordable 32-thread hardware (sun4v), the starting goal of 4-processor scalability for the FreeBSD SMPng Project requires revision. This page is a work-in-progress todo list, and is not comprehensive.
- Improve MUTEX_PROFILING: measure contention times, not just counts; measure contention for other lock types, such as spinlocks, sx locks, rw locks, etc, not just sleep mutexes.
- Simplify locking in sleepqueues.
- Determine how best to reduce runq lock contention.
- Re-evaluate inlining decisions.
- File descriptor lock contention.
General profiling of real-world workloads with > 8 cpus.
- IPC lock granularity, especially for UNIX domain sockets.