Input method in FreeBSD virtual terminal (Week 11)
This week I was preparing for my work product for the GSoC final evaluation. Things I did include:
- Doing the style checks on the cloned kernel source code
- Writing a report for what I'd done
- Adding descriptions of how to build the project
You can find the project materials in https://github.com/Cycatz/GSoC2021.
This is the first time I participated in GSoC and contributed to FreeBSD. In the beginning, both one of my mentor LiWenHsu and I thought the project goal is challenging and difficult, since I'd never read the FreeBSD kernel souce code, let alone modified the kernel. Fortunately, LiWenHsu and another mentor, PhilipPaeps, helped me a lot, specifically answering my questions and giving me many advices when I was stuck. Finally, I was cheerful to announce this project had been done and met most of my expectations stated in the proposal. Also, I greatly appreciated the opportunity to take part in FreeBSD project.
- Rewrite the backend in C
- For being integrated into base
- Support more IME features
- e.g., candidate selction, schema selction and etc.
- Support various IME libraries
- Find a better way for communication between kernel and user space
Improve the display flow of the IME status in vt
- Allow the user to customize IME frontend settings
For example, using sysctl(8) to set keybindings