http support for PXE
Main purpose of this project - to write extendable (as much as possible - C) code wrappers to provided by PXE and UNDI APIs to support downloading of files via TCP-based protocols in preboot environment. Goal - to introduce code, able to download and prepare booting of FreeBSD kernel from remote server via direct connection or http proxy.
- Test behaviour of code with different parameters on different real machines.
- Think about ipv6
- Solve problem with loading of not compressed modules.
- Add ability to parse directory listings
- Update documentation.
- Update assembler source, test more ISR correct working.
- add Telnet client.
- make PXE sockets API more similar to common sockets.
First project to test loading of user image, getting all usefull information and showing it. Use BTX and libstand.
Used for memory managment to provide memory allocation for downloaded files and send/receive buffers. BTX memory allocation functions are used, pxe_mem module just a wrapper for them now.
state: to remove from project (reason - unnecessary module).
IP packet routing/sending. Includes ICMP protocol for general testing of ip code (provides pxe_ping() function). ARP resoltion of media addresses.
state: IPv4, ICMP echo ready. Need to update routing functions.
Simple tcp implementation. Includes handshaking, transmitting data and disconnecting.
state: completed, needs more testing and optimizing.
UDP supported on level of sockets and lower. Currently is used by DHCP/DNS/NFS.
Provides flexible interface for usage in higher level applications (DNS, DHCP and http-client) Similar to berkley sockets behaviour and function naming. Client side functions socket(), connect(), send(), recv(), close() are planned to implement now. Also added pxe_bind() and pxe_sendto() for DHCP and DNS clients.
state: completed, needs refactoring to be more similar to common sockets, testing.
There is own module to get information via DHCP from remote server. Added functionality to use bootp() from libstand for same purposes.
This client provides domain resolution, using pxe_gethostbyname() function.
state: completed, needs support for IPv6 and currently not supported resource records for it.
This is practically last stage of project. Works with keep-alive connections (not keep-alive also supported, but not used now).
state: completed, both keep-alive and not keep-alive able servers supported.
Provide parameters to kernel and booting it. httpfs filesystem implemented as filesystem for pxe device to load from.
state: base functionality works. Need to add directory listings and solve problem with not compressed modules.
telnet support module
Provides simplified telnet client from loader's console.
Prestage (till the 25th of May): general PXE issues (calling UNDI functions, installing isr, irq handler), ICMP support (echo/reply)
1st stage (till the 30th of Juny, 1 month): TCP code, sockets, UDP support, DNS client.
2nd stage (1-14th of July, 2 weeks): http client and kernel booting.
3rd stage (the 15-31th of July, 2 weeeks): final testing.
- 2 weeks - reserved.
- simple PXE program loaded, DHCP, TFTP, http-server setuped. All is ready to begin coding and testing.
- ICMP protocol (echo request/reply) implemented. Simple IP routing implemented.
- first primitive and ugly implementation of sockets for UDP and simple DNS resolver (A and CNAME records supported) on it's base.
- gateway/nameserver information is getting by DHCP client.
- implementation of TCP module, that works in most cases as expected to work TCP.
- http client written and tested. On base of it httpfs module created. It's possible to load (not boot) kernel and modules manually from BTX console.
- booted kernel on emulators and finally on real machine till stage of mounting root file system.
- booted kernel with RAM drive both in LAN and in Internet. Tested on Apache and nginx remote http-servers.
- tested successful work of NFS loader with provided by pxe_http udpread()/udpsend() functions.
- wrote overview documentation.
pxe_http repository - this project repository.
pxeboot.tar.bz2(108 Kb) - latest test binary for this project
uIP - The open-source uIP TCP/IP stack to tiny embedded 8-bit microcontrollers
Syslinux - includes pxelinux code.
PXE 2.1 specifcication - Intel PXE 2.1 specification
PXE SDK - Intel PXE SDK
Etherboot/gPXE - project, related to network booting.