Base system accessibility wishlist
This includes documenting wherever appropriate accessibility-related changes made to the base system. Documentation-only changes go into Accessibility/Wishlist/Doc instead.
Speech output support in vt(4): D35754 available for feature testing.
Render text and numbers as audio support in beep(1): D35772 available for feature testing.
Daemon to speak or beep vt(4) console: D35776 available for feature testing.
- Provide a VTY screenreader (which one?) in the installer itself, as self-configurable as possible, and that can be started on the initial menu with a simple key or key combination.
- Add a VTY screenreader (POLA says the same one) to the packages available from the installer so the installed OS can be speech-friendly from the first boot.
- Check the installer text and background colors provide enough contrast (including as shades of grey) and or offer options to change them.
- Document the accessibility options added to the installer and available for VTY-only systems.
Need more description or discussion
- Screenreader support in the loader. (Earlier boot stages are probably unfeasible.)
- Speech recognition instead of a keyboard (that's a very tough one, maybe untractable - accents, spelling variants, ESL speakers, and I'm probably missing some).
- Other color schemes than white-on-blue (installer) or white-on-black (out-of-the-box default for VTYs), both configurable from the installer including for the installed OS.