Greek Documentation Project
Who are we?
We are a group of Greek people using FreeBSD in our homes and work places. Some of us also implement FreeBSD-based solutions for others. We believe the system is great, and hope to make it accessible to more people by translating the documentation into our native language.
Why join us?
Although you will not have any monetary benefits, there are more than enough reasons to join our team:
- You will feel your work is important: You will be assisting an international voluntary project, used by millions of people.
- You will gain the respect of people that will use your work.
- You will understand your system better, and also communicate with people that share your views.
- You will gain technical knowledge on the way the documentation system works.
- It is the kind of work you can actually show (and prove) on your CV.
How to join the translators team
The easiest way to join is through our mailing list:
You can start by viewing the list archives
You can send an email to our list
For faster response, please use this form to subscribe first.
Alternatively, send an email to Manolis Kiagias <manolis AT FreeBSD DOT org>
What you will need
- Some spare time
- The will to help
- A good (not necessarily perfect) knowledge of the English language
What you will not need
- Special equipment and software. An editor, spell checker and an Internet connection is all that is required. A simple dial up connection is sufficient, if that is all you have.
- Expert's knowledge or programming. Most of the times you simply translate the English text, there is no need to change the markup language used (which is simple anyway).
Giorgos Iordanou (<george AT iordanou DOT org>)
Kyriakos Kentrotis (<kenkyr AT gmail DOT com>)
Nikos Kokkalis (<nickkokkalis AT gmail DOT com>)
Konstantinos Koukopoulos (<kouk AT noc DOT uoa DOT gr>)
Panagiotis Kritikakos (<panoskrt AT googlemail DOT com>)
Stylianos Sideridis (<siderste AT yahoo DOT gr>)
Aristotelis Stamatopoulos (<aristotelis DOT stamatopoulos AT gmail DOT com>)
Leonidas Tsampros (<ltsampros AT upnet DOT gr>)
Vaggelis Typaldos (<vtypal AT gmail DOT com>)
The latest committed versions of the above documents can be found here.
The team has lately concentrated its efforts on the Handbook and FAQ:
Handbook's Volume I (Chapters 1-10 and Appendices) is now ready and is constantly updated and re-synced to the English version. View the build here. Large parts of the Administration Handbook (Volume II) have also been translated, and work continues at a pace of about a chapter per month.
A number of articles have been translated. View the builds here.