BSD bintools (Part I)
This project plans to re-implement part of the GNU binutils based on the libelf and libarchive libraries. It will bring FreeBSD a BSD Licensed toolchain for processing ELF binary file. First part of the project, which is scheduled to complete within this summer, mainly concentrate on re-implementing tools including ar(1), ranlib(1), objcopy(1), strip(1) and composing corresponding manual pages.
- Implement ar(1), ranlib(1), strip(1), objcopy(1) based on the libelf library. The goal of the re-implementation is to at least provide identical functionality in ELF binary processing to the GPL'ed counterpart.
- Manual pages for these tools.
ar(1) has been committed to FreeBSD
- A test suite was finished.
- Tarballs for these utils are available for download. Please use with caution as they are still work-in-progress. Any feedback is appreciated. I will update these tarballs on weekly base.
A manual page for ar(1) was finished by JosephKoshy
- A basic implementation of objcopy(1) and strip(1) was finished.
- A basic implementation of ar(1) and ranlib(1) was finished.
An "ar" extension to the libarchive library was finished. This extension provides basic (and experiment) support for reading and writing "ar" archives and will be the back-end of the new ar(1).
This project is part of the ElfToolChain project.