Hangout Notes 22 June 2017
- domagoj@ has some numbers to share and will send a set of measurements along to the group
- Apple has added instructions and cycles as variables in their latest seed released at WWDC. Source is not yet available. There is a manual page but no test scripts.
- bdkidney@ gave a talk at BSDCan covering the new things that CADETS is doing with DTrace.
- markj@ brings up the issue of inline functions being visible but not traceable. gnn@ asks about using the same tricks that are used in the PID provider in user space. markj@ thinks we can target the reduced set of instructions to make this work for inline in the kernel. The code all lives in fasttrap but we want this in FBT.
- gnn@ will ask emaste@ about compiling the kernel with LTO to see if that breaks DTrace
- bdkidney@ now has LOOM talking to DTrace via the new dtrace_probe() system call
- samuel@ is optimizing the unregister call because right now its a linear search and that's...slow. He is also looking at deduping strings in DTrace since they take up a lot of space.