Issues with current Gvinum implementation
The worst problems
- If a drive fail, and the machine is rebooted, gvinum will not detect the failed drive, and just thinks the plex has the right amount of disks.
- Gvinum does not have the same header size on different architectures.
- During taste, there might be multiple configurations read on disks, but gvinum might not use the newest.
- State of gvinum objects are not always set correctly when events happen, e.g. subdisks becoming stale when nothing is really wrong with the data.
- It's possible to break your configuration and panicing the kernel if you're not doing things the "right" way.
- Doing modifications is hard due to too many gvinum worker threads running at once.
- Hardly integrated into GEOM.
Lack of features
- Operations such as rebuilding and initializing requires that the volumes are unmounted.
- Misses support for setting state on plexes and volumes.
- Missing support for "quick" commands.
- The geom_vinum module cannot be unloaded.