Notes on new FreeBSD.org website design
Pages which should be improved/reorganized
http://www.FreeBSD.org/platforms (core). Pages under "platforms" tend to be stale and need reorganization to include more useful information with less maintenance cost.
http://www.FreeBSD.org/internal/machines.html (clusteradm) This tends to get quickly dated. We should evaluate which systems are essential to have listed (ref*, freefall, hub). I am not sure it is necessary for no-access machines to be listed (ns*, for example), since the majority of this information (if not all) is available in DNS
Pages which should be removed
Information on the top page
- Project News
- Event calendar
- FreeBSD in Press
- Security Advisories and Errata Notices (re, secteam)
Wish list for the new design
- Mobile device friendliness.
- Space for promotional contents about topic of the moment. "FreeBSD 10" or "FreeBSD 20th Birthday", for example.
- Alerts area for system-related announcements (i.e., "System Maintenance in progress: mailing list services may be delayed temporarily.") (clusteradm)
- Correct HTML5
- Blind accessible
- Colourblind accessible
- Follow usability guidelines (e..g, from useit.org)
- RSS in link element
- Load speed: pages should be optimized for load time, especially on mobile vs desktop (mobile tends to prefer fewer RTTs; desktop prefers smaller files).