Email: <markj AT FreeBSD DOT org>
Here are some lists of things.
These are things that I would like to eventually get done/fix. Please mail me if you'd like to work on them.
Merge fdescfs into devfs.
- needed for fexecve()+shebang
- expected by lots of third-party software
- default in other unix-like kernels
- needs to appear in jails by default as well
- need to sort out Capsicum integration
Early microcode loading on AMD
- lacking a convenient test system
TRIM for swap devices
- interrogate swap GEOM for candelete capability
- dispatch TRIMs asynchronously from swp_pager_freeswapspace()
Doug is working on this in Review: D20863
- need to use Neighbour Discovery to find the first-hop router
Kernel dump regression testing
- doable with bhyve and expect after r346550
lockmgr(9), rmlock(9) and epoch(9) integration into lockstat
- lockmgr is mostly done now
sendmail hangs on boot if the hostname contains a single component
Better VM statistics
- Per-domain stats in vmstat -s output
- Add counters for the various branches in page daemon scanning (e.g., how many times did we skip a busy page?)
- Measure internal fragmentation in UMA zones
- Page table and PV chunk memory usage
Capsicumizing the base system
stress2 as a service
- False-positive WITNESS warnings. These confuse automation and new users alike.
- Partial progress using the blessing table, but we need a more precise method (e.g., add a lock-specific NOWITNESS flag argument to lock operations).
- stack_chk_init: WARNING: Initializing stack protection with non-random cookies!
- I don't know whether this is important or how to fix it.
- WARNING: attempt to domain_add(%s) after domainfinalize()
- Printed when bluetooth modules are auto-loaded during boot.
Stuff I forget
Set a Kyua configuration variable from the command line:
- kyua -v test_suites.FreeBSD.allow_sysctl_side_effects=1 test
Resetting an arm64 CPU during early boot:
ldr x0, =(0x84000009) smc #0
- Need to check the method for the PSCI device in the FDT, it should be "smc"
Useless boot messages on my NUC
drivers printing stuff during probe:
WARNING: Device "kbd" is Giant locked and may be deleted before FreeBSD 14.0. 000.000049  netmap_init netmap: loaded module [ath_hal] loaded mlx5en: Mellanox Ethernet driver 3.6.0 (December 2020) nexus0 KTLS: Initialized 12 threads
WARNING: Device "kbd" is Giant locked and may be deleted before FreeBSD 14.0. unknown: memory range not supported
Printing lines per CPU:
hwpstate_intel0: <Intel Speed Shift> on cpu0 hwpstate_intel1: <Intel Speed Shift> on cpu1 hwpstate_intel2: <Intel Speed Shift> on cpu2 hwpstate_intel3: <Intel Speed Shift> on cpu3 ... ioat0: <HSW IOAT Ch0> mem 0xee130000-0xee133fff irq 31 at device 4.0 numa-domain 0 on pci2 ioat0: Capabilities: 2f7<PQ,Extended_APIC_ID,Block_Fill,Move_CRC,DCA,Marker_Skipping,CRC,Page_Break> ioat1: <HSW IOAT Ch1> mem 0xee12c000-0xee12ffff irq 39 at device 4.1 numa-domain 0 on pci2 ioat1: Capabilities: 2f7<PQ,Extended_APIC_ID,Block_Fill,Move_CRC,DCA,Marker_Skipping,CRC,Page_Break> ioat2: <HSW IOAT Ch2> mem 0xee128000-0xee12bfff irq 31 at device 4.2 numa-domain 0 on pci2 ioat2: Capabilities: f7<Extended_APIC_ID,Block_Fill,Move_CRC,DCA,Marker_Skipping,CRC,Page_Break> ...