High-value, simple & easily accessible ways to contribute to FreeBSD
- Skills & Interest Areas
Help & support others users / Talk about FreeBSD online
Start conversations, support users and engage in FreeBSD-related discourse
See also: Community for other channels
Increase FreeBSD awareness at your favourite upstream project(s)
- Websites, documentation, README's
- Add FreeBSD install instructions to documentation/README's
- Add FreeBSD to the list of supported operating systems
Run software tests, test suites, report successes & failures
- Add feature requests to add or improve FreeBSD support, or FreeBSD-specific features (eg: kqueue(2))
Write about what you do, on, or with FreeBSD
Write a How To article
- Write a blog post describing a new feature, port project or update
- Write about your experience on FreeBSD, including the successes, failures and what needs improving.
Adopt an unmaintained Port or Package
Maintain an un-maintained port
Add to and improve FreeBSD Wiki Content
- Report incorrect or outdated content
- Suggest additions, changes
Create a wiki account, ask a developer to add you to the contributor group
Join #freebsd-wiki on IRC
Manage and Triage FreeBSD Issues/Bugs
Analyse/Triage a Bug/Issue for a port/package you use. Examples:
- Incorrectly categorized
- Unclear summaries
- Incorrectly assigned
- CC relevant/appropriate people
- Help issues progress
- Reproduce issues
Skills & Interest Areas
This Wiki, Bugzilla, the main FreeBSD website, among others
Language & Writing
- FreeBSD provides extensive documentation in many forms, including handbooks, manual pages, and this wiki.
Help us write new content, guides, howtos or tutorials, or level up existing documentation to fill in gaps, or make them more accessible and understandable
- Wiki: Improve the accessibility, consistency and organisation (information architecture) of our Wiki.
- Know languages other than English? Help translate our documentation to those languages.
Bugzilla is written in Perl. Help us write Bugzilla Extensions, improve automation and extend functionality
Perl ports and packages. Create new Perl ports, and help us keep perl ports up-to-date and well-tested.
The project runs a number of services built on Python. Some examples include bsd.to (pastebin running dpaste), Limnoria (IRC Bot framework), and this Wiki (MoinMoin)
- We have a number of blue-skype projects and services we'd love to build using popular Python frameworks like Django and Flask.
Python ports and packages. Create new Python ports, and help us keep Python ports up-to-date and well-tested.
Test and fix Steam games on FreeBSD. Check the Steam Games: FreeBSD Compatibility List
Join #freebsd-games on IRC Libera Chat or #gaming channel on Discord