See also the official project page at http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/ppc.html.
Note: If you're adding relevant information here, please poke someone to update its source document at ppc.xml.
- PowerPC ('New World') machines (ones with built-in USB ports, 1999-2006)
MPC85XX evaluation boards, AmigaOne X5000, AmigaOne A1222 (powerpcspe)
Open Firmware-based Power5 machines and succesors (including 9133), powerpc64 only
- Playstation 3 (powerpc64 only, starting with FreeBSD 9.0)
- Raptor Power9-based systems, powerpc64 only
Tyan GN70-BP010 Power8
- Apple machines:
- Starting with 9.0, the installer works properly, and most of the following instructions can be ignored:
- Sometimes you need these hints:
Booting from hard drive: boot cd:,\BOOT\LOADER cd:0
PXEbooting: boot enet:0,\\loader.ppc
- Booting alternative kernels easily from loader:
Edit /boot/defaults/loader.conf and uncomment the loader_delay="3" line.
- Reboot and press Ctrl-C during the delay after loader starts. (quick series of dots)
U-boot installs: powerpc/UBoot-Install
Xorg should work on all supported Apple hardware. Console restore after leaving X11 may or may not work, depending on your graphics hardware.
Peter Grehan tested X11 on:
- rev B iMac (Rage 3D Pro 215GP, accel disabled).
700Mhz eMac (Nvidia GeForce2 MX)
12" 1.33G G4 powerbook (Nvidia GeForce G5200)
- and Martin Minkus has run it on a 350MHz iMac, Rage 128VR.
On ATI Radeon-based machines there are still some problems:
Sometimes Option "NoAccel" is required
- The Xserver sometimes seems to have problems querying the Monitor Modes
X11 on Power8/Power9 is still a work in progress.
uaudio(4) works. snd_ai2s(4) and snd_davbus(4) support built-in audio on various Mac models.
Open Firmware Quick Reference: http://www.firmworks.com/QuickRef.html
Garance A. Drosehn's description about FreeBSD on the Minimac: http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ppc/2005-January/000814.html
FreeBSD on the PowerMac G-series thread on the FreeBSD Forum: https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/13827/