powerpc/POWER9 is supported by FreeBSD's powerpc/powerpc64. Both powernv (OpenPOWER and Linux-only servers from IBM that run OPAL firmware) and pseries (VMs under KVM or LPARs and VMs with pHyp firmware) are supported.
This is most commonly run on desktops from Raptor Computing Systems although it should run on all known POWER9 systems due to common architecture. There is an official full system simulator in ports emulators/linux-power9-functional-sim for doing development.
Out of tree tracking of issues required for feature parity at: PowerBSD
Projects/To Do list (unsorted):
ifunc support (need newer linker than src binutils)
Radix page tables -- committed, pass radix_mmu=1 in the kernel command line to use it
superpages -- WIP
kernel core dumps -- WIP
XIVE interrupt controller
- ppc64le port
- LinuxKPI (amdgpu)
- PMAP fixes to handle DRI (pmap_change_attr(), pmap_page_set_memattr())
- topology specification (ULE)
- kgdb support
- iflib bge support (Talos II / Blackbird on board ethernet)
- asm for hot functions like memcpy and bzero in kernel
asm for hot functions in libc
- options EARLY_AP_STARTUP
Investigate HW support:
- mpr(4) not working for mmacy, endian issue? mps(4) seems to work elsewhere i.e. sparc64 so check delta between drivers
ixl(4) is set as amd64 only, base gcc issue?
The following adapters homologated on POWER9 Boston (Type/Model: 9006-22P) are lacking proper driver support:
Serial Attached SCSI controller: Adaptec Series 8 12G SAS/PCIe 3 (rev 01)
- RAID bus controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic MegaRAID SAS-3 3108 [Invader] (rev 02)